The team that brought you PowerNSX just released the ‘Minimum Viable Product’ (MVP) of project Magpie. The ‘Multi Access General Purpose Infrastructure Explorer’ is specifically designed to be modular, and by this allowing new tools to be rapidly integrated into Magpie. I instantaneously have a small flashback to the Webcommander days, but that can just be me. In short, Project Magpie is an appliance containing various tools and utilities to support NSX. This appliance will serve as a framework for various tools to support operation and management of VMware (NSX) deployments. In short, the v0.1 Magpie contains release contains the following features:
- Multi-user Support – Create accounts for all users that require access to PowerNSX.
- PowerCLI and PowerNSX modules included and ready to go.
- Web-based User Interface – Access PowerNSX and PowerCLI from just via a web browser.
- Hosted documentation – You can access a searchable PowerNSX documentation that is updated from the Internet (Github). The documentation requires a working Internet connection, no Internet no documentation.
- PowerNSX SSH access – Access the PowerNSX/PowerCLI environment via an SSH terminal to the appliance.
- Photon OS – The appliance is built upon VMware’s lightweight Photon OS.
Pretty awesome as for NSX who does not use PowerNSX? And this is just the first initial release. Let us take her out for a spin and play!